Monday, August 17, 2015

Welcome to my blog, Crooked River rails.

This blog is about my HO scale model railroad based on the area around the Cuyahoga River in downtown Cleveland Ohio, circa late 1940's to early 1950's.

Right now the model railroad is in the conceptual stage. The main reason for this is because I have yet to move into the house where it will be built. That will change very soon, however.

I will have roughly a 14' x 30' area to work with to build my layout. I say roughly because there is potentially more room available, but the 14' is at least the primary locked dimension due to the basement walls. If I break through a dividing concrete block wall or extend the long dimension some, I can make it bigger. For starters though, 14' x 30' will be plenty.

I do not even have a full list of my givens & druthers yet. I am pretty sure that I want to include the following at least:

  • Part of the Cleveland Union Terminal station. I won't be able to model Cleveland Union Terminal to scale because it is 771' to the top of the antenna spire which is almost 9' tall in HO scale. Trust me though - if I had the ceiling for it, I would probably attempt to build an HO scale model of the tower.
  • Hand in hand with the first bullet, I want to model passenger operations at the terminal during the late 1940's to early 1950's. At least to some degree. The terminal platforms had 6 traction tracks, 12 railroad tracks, and a 9 track coach yard. I will most likely downsize this a bit. I also have no plans currently to model the traction piece at all, but who knows what may happen.

  • Multiple railroad operations for both passenger and freight. The main players in the downtown Cleveland area during this time frame were New York Central, Nickel Plate, Baltimore & Ohio, Big Four, Erie, Wheeling & Lake Erie, and Pennsylvania. Cleveland Union Terminal (C.U.T.) also had its own electrified line, more on that later though.

  • Riverfront operations. There were several locations on the riverfront where commodities such as ore, coal, grain, aggregate, and concrete were loaded and unloaded. At one time, the Whiskey Island ore dock with its four enormous Hulett unloaders was the largest ship-to-shore ore unloading operation in the world. 



Well, that's it for an introduction. Much more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment